Betsy DeVos is best known today as the current U.S. Education Secretary, but it was not too long ago that her name was known mainly due to her philanthropic works. DeVos has long been dedicated to improving the education system and finding ways to ensure that all children get the education they deserve. Here are just some of the charitable works and programs she has been a part of over the last few decades.
- She is one of the main supporters of an annual art competition in her hometown of Grand Rapids known as ArtPrize.
- Organizing and funding political think tanks and providing support for conservative political causes and candidates.
- Financial support to an Aviation charter high school in Michigan originally founded by her husband, Dick DeVos, in 2010.
- Provides support for the pediatric oncology department at the Helen DeVos Children’s Hospital.
- Strong patronage of The Potter’s House, a Christian-based educational facility in Michigan and offering additional support to two private Christian schools operated by the organization.
- Donates generously to the Education Freedom Fund. This group gives needy children scholarships to make it possible for them to attend private schools.
- Acting chairman and financial supporter of the American Federation for Children. The organization works to promote school choice and charter schools to increase the options available to all children.
- Involved with the Foundation for Excellence in Education. This is an educational think tank that DeVos has also been devoted to for many years. The organization is dedicated to reforming the educational system.
This list is just some of the work of DeVos has performed over the last twenty or thirty years. Much of the contributions and support have been given by DeVos through the charitable group she co-founded with her husband. The Dick and Betsy DeVos Family Foundation is a Michigan based charity that is helping to carry on the tradition of giving back that was begun by Dick DeVos’ family. Along with his parents and his siblings, the DeVos family has donated approximately $1.2 billion to a variety of health, educational and cultural causes.